Menu Close

Author: Frank Pauwels

Why fitness can make the difference …

On an ordinary Monday we installed the steering wheel, to have an idea how many hours we need to spent in the fitness to be able to turn it in a comfortable way. Unfortunately we had a scary movement of the steering column when applying force.

Not really a comfortable feeling so this needed to be sorted out.
While we prepared some extra supports, welding man on duty “Biesemans” was called and some moments later it was changed in a very solid construction. Now it doesn’t move at all.

Check the pictures.​

Missing temperature info

​We are not nosy, but we like to get as much information from the car as possible so we installed some extra temperature sensors for the gear box oil and transmission fluid.

Seeing there were no connections in the existing hardware, we had to be inventive and created those ourselves.
For the gearbox we welded an aluminum “T” to put in the oil hose.
In the differential cover we replaced the speed sensor by a temperature sensor. There is no need for speed information because it’s always pedal to the metal 🙂 but we can always use our GPS module in road modus to avoid becoming a great donator to the judicial system…..

Because the two sensorcasing are only temporary and they are hiding underneath the car they can remain where they are for the time being.
Anodizing metal and welding afterwards are not very compatible
When there’s time to kill we’ll bring things in order so it will pass the R-Box quality standards.

Cables a Gogo..

​To be able to take out the engine quickly, not that we plan on doing that very often, we had grouped all electrical connections on one connector on the bulkhead.
Even though we had a good solid cable tree, there were too many changes to modify the existing one and we decided to start from scratch.
Where have we heard this before…

We had already professionally created and guided the male section throughout the cockpit a few months ago. Being eager to finally see some results it was time to start creating part 2. Despite the fact that we would use the same 41 pole military Souriau, be it a female version this time, it seemed that the soldering cups had shrunk over time.
Or maybe it’s old age playing tricks on our eyes…

After fooling around for an evening with lots of wire, soldering iron, magnifying glass and especially lots of light the connector was equipped with the necessary copper.
Because we will embed the connector in epoxy everything has to be measured thoroughly. Once embedded there’s no way back.
To make these controls we needed our team supervisor, who on that day happened to be wearing his own correction tools for his eye sight ;), seeing we’re all In the same age range we have to admit that deterioration started; nothing had shrunk.

Armed with glasses, magnifying glass, extra light and a multi meter we checked and double checked every connection and made sure there were no closures in contact with nearby pins.
After performing some magic tricks using some tape, mica foil and a pharmaceutical syringe we embedded the cable assembly for eternity in epoxy. At least the part where the wires are attached to the connector.

After the epoxy had settled for 2 days we repeated the control procedure and now we can assemble and finish the cable tree .
Critical step to have all sensors, coils, injectors.. communicate with the ECU

To be continued…

De gustibus et coloribus non est disputandum …

Tto stay in sync with the rest of the engine compartment we painted the valve cover the same Smurfs blue colour as the waterhoses.
This was very nicely done by a friendly Dutch M3-team. Thx to Aad and Mario.

Because we found pencilcoils that had the correct measurements and specs we needed to enlarge the 4 holes for the spark plugs.
A 30mm drill and 1 pair of hands from Ivo were enough to get the job done.

The final result is in the picture.